MIKHAIL EPSTEIN HOME PAGE Mikhail N. Epstein (Epshtein), Russian-American literary scholar
Associate Professor, Department of Russian, Eurasian, and East Asian Languages and Cultures (REEALC) , 125 Trimble Hall
Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322
tel. (404) 727-2594
INTERESTS:The theory of literature; the history of Russian literature (especially Pushkin, Gogol, Dostoevsky and 20th century poetry); contemporary philosophy and religion; postmodern trends in Western and Russian cultures; new methods and interdisciplinary approaches in the humanities.
PUBLICATIONS: 13 books and monographs and more than 250 articles and essays, translated into 10 languages (in library catalogues, look under the name Epshtein, Mikhail).
BOOKS AND MONOGRAPHS
(follow links to summaries and annotations in English)
1. After the Future: The Paradoxes of Postmodernism and Contemporary Russian Culture, transl. and with Introduction by Anesa Miller-Pogacar, Amherst: The University of Massachusetts Press, 1995, 394 pp.
You can order this book directly on-line
After the Future
The review of this book by Karen Rice McDowell (Univ. of Virginia) AATSEEL Book Review on the Internet Summer 1997
2. Relativistic Patterns in Totalitarian Thinking: An Inquiry into the Language of Soviet Ideology. Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies, Occasional Paper,# 243. Washington: The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, 1991,94 pp.
3. Novoe v klassike. Derzhavin, Pushkin, Blok v sovremennom vospriiatii (The Classics Renovated: Derzhavin, Pushkin, and Blok in Contemporary Perception). Moscow: Znanie, l982, 40 pp.
4. Paradoksy novizny. O literaturnom razvitii XIX-XX vekov (The Paradoxes of Innovation: On the Development of Literature in the l9th and 20th Centuries). Moscow: Sovetskii Pisatel', l988, 4l6 pp.
5. 'Priroda, mir, tainik vselennoi. . .' Sistema peizazhnykh obrazov v russkoi poezii ('Nature, the World, the Mystery of the Universe...': The System of Landscape Images in Russian Poetry). Moscow: Vysshaia Shkola, l990, 304 pp.
6.Ottsovstvo. Esse (Fatherhood. An Essay). Tenafly (New Jersey): Hermitage Publishers, 1992, 160 pp.
7. Novoe sektantstvo: tipy religiozno-filosofskikh umonastroenii v Rossii (New Sectarianism: The Varieties of Religious-Philosophical Consciousness in Russia). Holyoke (Massachusetts): New England Publishing Co., 1993, 179 pp.; 2nd edition, reprint, Moscow: Labirint, 1994, 181 pp.
8. Velikaia Sov'. Filosofsko-mifologicheskii ocherk (Great Soviet Land. A Philosophical-Mythological Essay). New York: Word/Slovo, 1994, 175 pp.
9. Vera i obraz. Religioznoe bessoznatel'noe v russkoi kul'ture XX veka (Faith and Image: The Religious Unconscious in Twentieth Century Russian Culture), Tenafly (New Jersey): Hermitage Publishers, 1994, 269 pp.
10. Na granitsakh kul'tur. Rossiiskoe - amerikanskoe - sovetskoe (On the Borders of Cultures: Russian - American - Soviet). New York: Slovo/Word Publishers, 1995, 344 pp.
11.Bog detalei. Narodnaia dusha i chastnaia zhizn' v Rossii na iskhode imperii (The God of Details: People's Soul and Private Life at the Twilight of the Russian Empire)). New York: Slovo/Word Publishers, 1997, 248 pp.
12.Tagebuch für Olga. Chronik einer Vaterschaft (translation of Ottsovstvo [Fatherhood]). Aus dem Russischen von Otto Markus. Munich: Roitman Verlag, 1990, 256 pp.
13. Esej (Essay). [Theory of Essay as a Genre]. S ruskog prevela Radmila Mechanin. Narodna knjiga - Alfa, Biblioteka Pojmovnik, Knjiga br. 24, Beograd, 1997, 172 str.
ARTICLES and ESSAYS published in English and Russian
From July 1, 1995, Mikhail Epstein maintains
electronic sites: INTELNET (intellectual network) - a virtual community devoted to the advancement of interdisciplinary ideas in the humanities.
Bank of New Ideas
IMPROVISATIONS. Communicative generation of interdisciplinary ideas.
Overview of Russian philosophy
Gallery of Russian Thinkers
M. EPSTEIN'S WORKS ON THE WEB:
In English: HYPER in 20th Century Culture: The Dialectics of Transition From Modernism to Postmodernism Postmodern Culture, vol. 6, No. 2, January 1996
On the Place of Postmodernism in Postmodernity paper for the conference After Postmodernism, Chicago University, November 1997
The Phoenix of Philosophy: On the Meaning and Significance of Contemporary Russian Thought Symposion. A Journal of Russian Thought, 1996
On Hyper-Authorship. Some Speculations on the Mystery of Araki Yasusada.
Russkie stranitsy Mikhaila Epshteina. Index of Russian Pages
Epstein's works on the Web. Virtual Library
- Fall 1995-present Associate Professor. REEALC, Emory University.
- Fall 1990-Summer 1995 Assistant Professor. Dept. of Russian Studies, Emory University.
- August 1990-August 1991 Fellow of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars / The Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies, Washington, D. C. Research: Soviet Ideological Language.
- Spring l990 Visiting Professor at Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT.
- 1988-1990 Director of the Laboratory of Contemporary Culture, Experimental Center of Creativity, Moscow. Conducted and coordinated interdisciplinary research projects on new literary and philosophical trends in the Soviet Union.
- 1986-1988 Director of the "Image and Thought" Association. Conducted and coordinated interdisciplinary seminars involving collaboration of writers, artists, critics and scientists.
- 1978-1989 Member of the Union of Writers of the USSR. Lecturer at the Moscow Bureau of Literary Education.
- l973-l978 Researcher at the Department of Theoretical Problems, the World Literature Institute of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR.
COURSES TAUGHT AT WESLEYAN and EMORY:
- The Poetry of Russian Avant-garde
- The Structure of Soviet Ideological Thinking and Language
- Masterpieces of Russian Literature of the 19th Century (in translation).
- Literary Theory/ English Criticism
- Dostoevsky (in translation)
- Nineteenth Century Russian Literature in the Original
- Twentieth Century Russian Literature in the Original
- Advanced Language Studies
- Philosophy and Religion in Russia
- Jews in Russian Culture
- Russian Contribution to Literary Theory
- Western and Russian Postmodernism
- Semiotics and Poetics
BIO-BIBLIOGRAPHICAL ARTICLES ON M. EPSTEIN:
- The Dictionary of International Biography, 1995, 23rd ed., Cambridge (England), 1994, 146.
- Two Thousand Notable American Men. 2nd Illustrated Edition. Raleigh (NC): The American Biographical Institute, 1994, 93-94.
- Marquis Who's Who in America: Who's Who in the East. 1993-1994, 24th ed., New Providence (N.J.): Reed Publishing (USA) Inc., 1992, 261.
- Kto est' Kto v Perestroike (Who's Who in Perestroika), comp. by Aleksandr Lavrin. Marburg (Germany): Blaue Horner Verlag, 1990, 189.
- Pisateli Moskvy. Biobibliografichesky spravochnik (Moscow Writers), Moscow: Moskovskii rabochii, 1987, 528.
Forum: Russian Critical Theory and Postmodernism: The Theoretical Writings of Mikhail Epstein:
- Dale Peterson: Introduction: Mikhail Epstein's Russian Postmodernism
- Edith W.Clowes: Simulacrum as S(t)imulation? Postmodernist Theory and Russian Cultural Criticism
- Anesa Miller-Pogacar: Varieties of Post-Atheist Spirituality in Mikhail Epstein's Approach to Culturology
- Mikhail Epstein: Response: "Post" and Beyond
In:Slavic and East European Journal, vol.39, No.3, Fall 1995, 329-366
More personal information:
Who I am and why I decided to start Intelnet
Your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated
Accesses to this page: Oct. 21, 1995 - Apr. 20, 1998 -- 6596
Since April 21, 1998